Sunday, February 7, 2010

An Education

Despite her conservative upbringing, Jenny (Carey Mulligan) is a teen with a bright future. She's smart, pretty, and has aspirations of attending Oxford University. When David, charming but much older suitor, drives into her life in a shiny automobile, Jenny gets a taste of life that changes her outlook on adult-hood.

My Review: From the first line spoken An Education was sold to me by Carey Mulligan's charm and perky personality. The acting in the film was excellent and the chemistry between the characters was flawless. It felt like I was watching a film where old friends meet up with a prior history and are happy to see each other and strike up an interesting conversation that is very intriguing. The dialogue between the characters was just that. In addition, the story was very original and always felt new. There were no scenes that dragged along and had me looking at the time. The screenplay was witty, wise and observant. Very seldom do I come across a film of this type where I can connect with the characters. Here, however, I felt like anything that happens to the stars in the film could happen to me at any given moment. Mulligan is deserving of Best Actress without a doubt and I would consider this film to be one of the best in 2009. 3 and a half out of 4 stars.

No comments: